Friday, February 04, 2005

Origin of Avios-Part I

“What? That was you, that couldn’t have been you. Why did you not tell me until now?” My mind tried to remember our time together.
“Remember? In boot…Long black hair? Took all the boys’ credits betting at the rifle range? Took out the Darkwings on my own…”

Oh Gods her!!! It all came flooding back into my mind. A scrappy refugee from a ship had joined our battalion in boot camp. The others tried to pick on her, and worse. There were not many females around. It is not often that someone stood up to the Darkwings.

The Darkwings were a group of punk human and Zabrak recruits. They asked for me to join, but I have never been a follower in a group. I had my own circle of friends. For some reason, they looked up to me. I never understood why. The first Darkwing to show up hurt was Samson. Samson was easily the largest of the Darkwings. He acted like their enforcer. No one had any information for the medics. We all looked on as the medics loaded him into a transport. He struggled to breathe and launched into a horrible primal scream after he turned his head and witnessed the medic holding his severed leg. None of us had seen wounds that severe. We were too new to training. We had not seen battle yet. Josh leaned to me and asked what I thought. I scanned the crowd of onlookers, looking for a clue as to what might have happened when she caught my eye. Her hair was out of compliance, interesting, how unlike this new protie. Strands were draped down over one eye. I saw a slight trickle of blood peak out from under the black of her hair. As if feeling my eyes, her head snapped to me. I kept eye contact with her. Even though she masked it on her face, I could…feel the hatred radiate off of her…Interesting…What an odd…perception to have of a person, their feelings…I motioned with my head for her to step aside out of the crowd. Josh noticed and looked at me knowingly. She frowned then defiantly turned in the direction I indicated. Josh fell in behind her then turned around, awaiting anyone that may be following. Once we were certain she had left unnoticed, I followed.

“Why did you attack him?”
She looked up at me as her eyes transitioned from hatred to fear at having been discovered.

“How? How did you know? He didn’t even know. I was so far away. It was a simple, clean shot…”

“I didn’t know. I had assumed and then you just told me.” I smiled at her, knowing she had walked into my trap. Panic spread across her face. I shook my head negatively and knelt before her, intending to look at her eye. “Someone needed to take the Darkwings down a notch. You just got to it before I could.” She looked up at me and offered a weak smile. I looked to Josh and he handed me the medpack. I tended to her bruised eye as best I could. Back then I was much more adept at healing. “Where did you get the rifle from?”

“Well, the other night I met Sgt. Sheldon at the cantina. He apparently could not stand to see a female recruit out drink him. He…left his id card at the table so I used it to gain access to the armory. The laser rifle has already been cleaned, and replaced. They will never know.”

I chuckled at the fine detail by which Ebe had carried out her plan. This is a smart one. Impressive…

“So what now Ebe?”

“That depends on the Darkwings. If they leave me alone, it is over. If Grant tries to touch me again, I will take out another one of his boys.”

I was taken aback a bit by her certainty and confidence in her statement.
“Very well, but do not underestimate the Darkwings. They have friends in high places.”

“Why the concern? Why do you even care about me?”

“I…cannot say. We have been tasked with watching you. The way you are treated by some of the others…Is intolerable. Certain, officers see promise in you. They want to be sure, you are given a fair shot.”

She stood, seeming offended.
“Sorry, but I do not need your help. I have always been able to take care of myself. Waste your time with another one of the skirts, do not concern yourself with me.” She stormed out.

“Wow, what a temper, you think she would be more grateful…Just another angry skirt. Grant will enjoy breaking that one.”

*rage*
I spun to Josh and gripped his throat in my hand, pushing him against the wall. “Never again will you speak of her in such a way. Don’t make me take you to my next class to…play with.” A wicked grin spread across my face as his eyes widen in fear of the implications my words carried. I released him and walked away. “I’m sorry.” He stood motionless rubbing his throat. “Go get some rest. The squad is going out in 0600 for maneuvers.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home