Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Day, New Life

I quietly slipped out of bed and walked downstairs. Little Max came bounding around the corner to me and played his best game of cute so I would feed him…Hmmm I wonder what she feeds him. I heard the nails of a claw scratching on the hard floor from around the corner. As quiet and dark as the knight, my Tanray peeked his head around the corner, looking for the morsel of breakfast the rest of us call Little Max. I made eye contact with his four hours and smirked, shaking my head no. With an almost human nod, he turned around the corner on the hunt for different prey. I hope my shoes are hidden away safely.

I walked into her kitchen and made breakfast, careful to remain quiet. I put a large portion of sliced fruit, avian eggs and toast in the ref’er so she could reheat when she woke up. I glanced over my shoulder to be sure she was not awake before I put a small plate of eggs on the ground for Little Max to eat. I leaned against the countertop nibbling on my toast and watched him eat. Always my creatures were built for utilitarian use, large beasts capable of vicious combat. I never used them as fodder and spent as much time mending them on the battlefield as I do myself, but still…I wondered if I was wrong to use the creatures to facilitate my survival. Little Max served no purpose besides to make the one I love happy. Is that enough? With a pang of guilt I whistled softly for my Tanray. His head popped around the other corner to the kitchen. I held my hand out so he could approach me and slowly moved my hand to scratch behind his ears. Like a feline he leaned into my hand wanting more. His eyes darted to Little Max and the plate of eggs. “Share.” The Tanray slinked over and nudged Little Max so he could access the plate too. Little Max growled and jumped on the Tanray’s back in what must have been the only way it knew to fight. The Tanray looked up briefly, then went back to eating. Little Max stood atop him and growled then became silent. He sniffed and circled then laid down on his broad warm back. I shook my head as I tossed my crust onto their plate and left to my room to pull on my flight suit.

I passed the stairs up to her room and glanced up, hungry to wake her with my body, but thought better of it. She needs to sleep and I cannot shirk my duties or else unfamiliar eyes may look in our direction and wonder why an Imperial Agent is living with, and sleeping with a Rebel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it. /nuzzle

June 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home